Cleaning your home is a monotonous task for a lot of people and so it is important to have the best tools for the job. When it comes to vacuum cleaners, the choices are endless. There are a variety of different types of vacuum cleaner for home use and in this article, we are going to look at the various types and what they are best used for .
Types Of Vacuum Cleaner For Home Use
The Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
Often times, you will receive a handheld vacuum cleaner when you purchase a larger, upright model or the handheld will detach from its larger counterpart for smaller jobs. These vacuum cleaners have a whole host of benefits and are a favoured option by many a home owner. Let’s take a look at what you can expect from a handheld vacuum cleaner.
- They are much smaller and therefore easier to store in between uses. This is especially useful for those with smaller homes and less storage space.
- Handhelds are much more lightweight and so are good for people who struggle with a larger appliance.
- Handheld vacuum cleaners often come with a multitude of nozzles and attachments which makes them excellent for using to get to hard to reach spots.
- They are brilliant for cleaning inside the car, down the edges of sofa cushions and inside cupboards.
- Handheld cleaners are better for when you need something for a quick clean up rather than a whole house clean.
- They work well on hard and soft surfaces.
The Robot Vacuum Cleaner
In this modern age, it isn’t surprising that there are now a great selection of vacuuming robots that will do all the hard work for you. These handy vacuum cleaners are becoming more and more popular and it is not difficult to see why. We will now take a look at the benefits and uses of this type of vacuum cleaner.
- Robot cleaners are great for people who do not have a lot of time on their hands. For example if you work long hours and do not have much time for housework, you can set your vacuuming robot to work and it will clean up for you. It is important to remember, that this type of vacuum is not designed to pick up larger pieces of debris, as this will damage the appliance.
- As with the previously discussed handheld vacuum, the robot is small and easy to store when it is not in use.
- These vacuums are excellent for people with children and pets who may make a continual mess throughout the day, your robot vacuum can detect and clean the mess leaving you free to take care of more important things.
- They are battery operated and very easy to use.
- Robot vacuums are able to reach underneath furniture such as sofas and sideboards, where traditional vacuum cleaners would struggle to reach.
- They can be used on both hard and carpeted floors.
The Upright Vacuum Cleaner
When you think of a vacuum cleaner, this is usually what will spring to mind. Nowadays, there are some uprights which run from a battery which is charged in between use (think of the ever popular G Tech models) but many are still powered with an electrical cord during use. Either way, these powerful vacuum cleaners remain popular, let’s find out why this is.
- Upright vacuums are one of the most cost effective products when it come to vacuum cleaners, making them a popular choice for families.
- It is well known that the upright vacuum cleaner is extremely durable and reliable.They tend to have a much longer life than other types of cleaner.
- Many upright cleaners make use of a bag to capture anything that they pick up. This is extremely useful for households where there are people who suffer from allergies as the allergens are captured in the bag and completely discarded of afterwards.
- Most of the newer upright vacuum come with removable pipes and additional attachments making them very versatile and giving them the ability to clean both floors and other areas whether that is along skirting boards, underneath furniture or high up areas and stairs.
The Stick Vacuum Cleaner
More commonly known as a cordless vacuum cleaner, the stick vacuum is literally that, a stick with a power source. But don’t let this lightweight, modern design put you off. There are some excellent stick cleaners out there and they are becoming more and more popular in recent times with many homes now proudly displaying their stick cleaner for all to see. Let’s have a closer look at what you can expect from your stick vacuum.
- The stick cleaner is super lightweight meaning that it can make cleaning quick and easy, this is especially useful for people who find a more weighty vacuum difficult to use.
- With their narrow design, stick vacuums are easily able to get into smaller spaces that uprights may not be able to reach.
- Stick vacuums work very well on hard floors such as wood and tiles These materials are very common in modern interior design and so for the modern home, a stick works very well.
- If you need a vacuum cleaner that isn't going to wake the dead, then a stick might be the solution. They are usually super quiet when operating meaning that the rest of the home won't be disturbed during clean up time.
- With the complete eradication of the power cord, the stick cleaner is a much safer option giving the user the certainty that they will not trip over any wires or get them caught up in the vacuum itself.
The Canister Vacuum Cleaner
The canister vacuum has proven to be very popular and is usually chosen in place of an upright due to the lower noise output of this appliance. Let's take a look at some of the benefits and uses of this type of vacuum.
- Canister vacuum cleaners can have a larger engine than an upright and so are often much more powerful which is great for homes with high traffic areas and clean ups that need more attention.
- The canister vacuum is known to clean in a much quicker fashion, ideal for those with limited time.
- This type of vacuum cleaner is usually a lot more lightweight which is great for being able to move it freely around the home.
- Featuring a hoes which is very flexible and long, the canister is able to reach places that other types of vacuum may not be able to and so makes cleaning a lot less tricky.
- Most models come with a good array of attachments and tools giving you the ability to tackle a variety of cleaning tasks.
The Wet And Dry Vacuum Cleaner
Most vacuum cleaners are only designed to clean up dry mess and debris, however the wet and dry vacuum can tackle wet messes as well, making it a very versatile tool to have in the home. But what are its other advantages? Let's find out.
- With the ability to clear away wet spills, having a wet and dry vacuum can eliminate any slipping risks on hard floors around the home which is great for safety reasons.
- This type of vacuum is excellent for those with breathing conditions such as asthma as they are very effective at removing allergens that can trigger such problems.
- The wet and dry vacuum has very powerful suction and so can make light work of even the toughest messes. Not only is this very useful in terms of cleaning but it is also a great time saver.
- Most models are fitted with handy wheels (or casters) which make moving the vacuum around the home super easy.
The Central Vacuum Cleaner
This type of vacuum cleaner is installed within the wall of a property and is designed to be a semi permanent fixture in the home. There are many reasons why you might choose this type of vacuum for your home. Whilst it may be a more pricey option, it is certainly a good one, let's find out why this is.
- With a central vacuum system, cords are eliminated which is great for safety reasons as there is no chance of tripping over a cord or catching it on anything.
- This type of vacuum is known to operate at a very low level of noise meaning that the home is not disturbed when cleaning is taking place.
- When using a central vacuum, you do not have to lug about a bulky vacuum cleaner which makes cleaning much more easy and enjoyable.
- These systems come with a very good selection of accessories meaning that you are able to clean a whole host of different areas within the home, making this an extremely versatile option.
- As opposed to portable cleaners, the central vacuum often has three times stronger power which means that much more dirt and dust is collection into the large capacity of this appliance.
- The central vacuum is very long lasting and in most cases will last around ten years before any maintenance is required.
There are many different types of vacuum cleaner for home use and sometimes it can become a little confusing to know which one will work best for your home. Whether you are looking for a powerful upright vacuum cleaner that is sure to last for many years or whether you would prefer a handy robot cleaner which will do all the hard work for you, there is sure to be a vacuum cleaner suitable for your home.