Vacuum cleaners have made life easy for homeowners. Sofas and carpets can now be cleaned with such ease. Year after year, newer, advanced and more compact models have hit the market, and their prices are going down as well.
Knowing when and how to use a vacuum cleaner is all the more important now. It leads to easy and effective cleaning. Having the know-how makes maintenance easy as well. If you are looking for a one-stop guide on how to use a vacuum cleaner, this post is for you.
Types of Vacuum Cleaners
- Canister Vacuum: It is quite popular around the world. The price range is pretty affordable, and there is no hassle of changing the bags.
- Handheld Vacuum: Like the name suggests, it can be handled with just one hand. It is light and well-suited for day-to-day cleaning.
- Stick Vacuum: It is quite a costly affair, but it pays for itself by offering some heavy cleaning.
- Upright Vacuum: The upright stick vacuum is the perfect fit for carpets. It offers both dry and wet cleaning options.
- Robot Vacuum: This automatic cleaner does the sweeping, mopping and carpet vacuuming. It is also an expensive type of vacuum. You can control it with the help of mobile apps.
Understanding the Components of a Vacuum Cleaner
There are tons of different models hitting the market these days. From Eureka to Philips to Kent, there are so many brands in business. We will discuss the components of the latest and standard models of 2019.
The top-of-the-line models support both wet and dry cleaning. Regardless of the make and model, all vacuum cleaners come with filters as well. For a wet-dry vacuum, there will be two filters: one for dry cleaning and one for wet cleaning. When doing wet cleaning, remove the HEPA dry-cleaning filter.
The dirt bag or canister has to be emptied or replaced constantly and needs to be cleaned up when it is half full.
Vacuum cleaners with long cables facilitate ease of use. Furthermore, LED indicators are preferred because they are visible without being too power-consuming.
Premium models have an auto-clean switch as well that cleans the HEPA filter by reversing the airflow. They can offer contact-free filter cleaning as well.
Another premium feature to look for is the auto-cord winder mechanism, which comes in expensive models. It ensures quick and easy storage of the power cord. It also protects the wire from external damage.
The more you invest, the more you will enjoy a hassle-free cleaning experience.
List of Attachments
Vacuum cleaners do come with a set of attachments too. You need to understand what purpose each one serves and how to use them. With attachments, you can do a lot more than just conventional vacuuming. They help with reaching inaccessible spaces and meeting unconventional requirements. Here, we have listed some of the popular attachments that come with vacuum cleaners:
- Carpet Brush: Vacuum cleaner for carpet is used to suck dirt and dust from carpets. It provides the most effective cleaning on carpets.
- Floor Brush: It is an accessory that helps with cleaning dust particles and allergens off the floor.
- Wet Squeegee: It helps clean wet surfaces and comes in handy when cleaning spilled coffee or curry.
- Crevice Nozzle: It helps get rid of dust from inaccessible spaces. Classic examples of inaccessible areas are wall corners and sofa corners.
- Flexible Hose: Included as an add-on with the top models, it helps control suction with the help of external holes.
- Grill Cleaner: You can get rid of the stubborn dust from your grills and window ledges easily with this little add-on.
- All-Surface Cleaner: You can keep even the hardest-to-clean parts spotlessly clean with this little add-on. You can use it on curtains, hard surfaces, bed ledges and mattresses.
- Flexi-Cleaner: It can reach inaccessible places easily with its flexi-design. For instance, you can clean shelf tops with utmost ease.
- Spray Jar: This little attachment can be used for watering indoor plants.
- Precision Cleaner: It is a multi-purpose blower which can blow dust from corners and even inflate balloons.
- Small Wet Squeegee: It can clean spills on surfaces that are wet. It makes things sparkling clean. The small squeegee is best suited to clean pillows and glass surfaces.
- Car Wash Adapter: This blower accessory helps clean cars by attaching a pipe on the nozzle.
Almost all the accessories can be fit into the storage of these models. You can keep them safe in a travel bag too.
4 Steps of Vacuum Cleaning Your Home
1. Switch on the Device
Switch on the device. Wait for indicators to signal the device is active and ready to use. Before usage, insert the hose on the suction or blower end of the cleaner. Choose the end depending on the usage. Turn the power knob to active/on mode. The high-end models feature other modes as well such as eco-cleaning and full throttle.
2. Adjust the Height
Examine the bag or canister on how full it is. The containers must be emptied as early as possible. Once that is done, adjust the vacuum cleaner to a height that is appropriate for the entire length of the carpet. If it is placed too low, it will not have enough airflow. Similarly, if it is placed too high, it will not have enough suction.
3. Move It Smoothly
Get rid of all the smaller items out of the way. You can leave ottomans and coffee tables, but the smaller items have to be removed. Push the vacuum forward and backward over the area that needs to be cleaned. Give it slow and steady strokes. It will not pick up dirt if you are rushing it.
4. Use the Attachments
Make use of the attachments that come with the vacuum cleaner. We have previously listed many of the attachments and their purposes. Use specific brushes and tools to clean corners, edges of furniture, etc.
Knowing how to use a vacuum cleaner includes knowing how to maintain it as well. Cleaning is part of maintaining it. Here are a few quick maintenance and cleaning tips for the attachments:
Clean the Vacuum Brush
Dip all brush attachments in a bucket of hot water and use detergent to wash them thoroughly. You can use soapy water as well.
Dry the Bristle Brush
Use a cloth to dry the attachments. Run it on the inside as well to dry the bristles. Such a motion soaks up the moisture inside. Do not use the bristle brush unless it is completely dry.
Comb the Bristles
While you set the bristle brush aside for drying, comb through the bristles. Pull out all the hairs and debris collected in it.
Rinse and Repeat
Make cleaning a routine for the maintenance of your vacuum cleaner. Do it frequently based on the amount of usage and type of cleaning.
Unconventional Uses of a Vacuum Cleaner
Get Rid of Allergens
Dust and pollen travel quite easily with the wind. When you have kids who are allergic to them, a vacuum cleaner is your best friend. You can rid your home of allergens without coming in contact with them by using a vacuum cleaner. Make it a weekly routine to clean your home from allergens.
Clean a Keyboard
What are crevice attachments for if not for cleaning a crumby keyboard? Rub in a little alcohol for better results. When everything is done, use a lint-free cloth to remove the dust. Polish the keys for a sparkling clean look.
Clean a Washing Machine’s Lint Filter
A vacuum brush is enough to do the job. To make the job easier, you can add the crevice tool as well. It helps pull the remainder of lint from the filter.
Add Fragrance to a Home
Dip cotton balls in essential oil or perfume. Choose aromas that are refreshing and pleasant. Drop it in the cleaner bag and let the scent emanate while you vacuum. It is pretty much like an air freshener on steroids.
Crumbs are the root cause of rodent or pest infestation in homes. With a vacuum cleaner and its attachments, you can clean shelves on fridge, grates in toasters, etc.
Summing It Up
There are multiple types of vacuum cleaners. Each one has a specific purpose and comes in a different range. Some of the common preferences are cordless and bagless vacuums. In this post, we have discussed the components of a standard vacuum cleaner for household use. Knowing the interior of a vacuum cleaner is essential, even if it’s for the occasional use.
We have followed it up with a long list of attachments too. Knowing the attachments comes handy when you need to accomplish a range of cleaning tasks. There are a few unconventional uses you should be aware of as well. Moreover, know-how of vacuum cleaners includes knowing maintenance. Take care of your vacuum cleaner, and it will take care of your house.